<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 01, 2006

As usual with 2006 I'm late posting my urban outings with the last few weeks I walked Bay to Breakers, watch the parade at San Francisco's Carnival and on Bike to Work Day rode my bike to the San Francisco Modern Museum of Art to see the Alexander Calder exhibit.

But I especially wanted the mention the play The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Wide World currently being performed at the Exit theatre in the TL AKA The Tenderloin. By the Pulitzer winner playwright by Suzan-Lori Parks, her works are always challenging and very engaging. I can count the avant-garde plays I have seen on one hand or maybe two if you include Butoh theatre but as with all arts forms you can find experimental works that speak to you and works that expand your understanding of the art form. The Beauty of theatre is it presents these stories and concepts in an intimate immediate environment. It is what makes theatre such a treat and relief from TV and cinema.

I won’t try to provide a synopsis but only say the play takes a historical look of the African-American history from African to today.

I will say this about the Exit Theatre, I’ve always found their staff friendly, helpful and professional it one of the theatre houses I enjoyed supporting in the city.

Now for the photos of Carnival I enjoyed the parade this year and the weather was wonderful.
















Winners of Carnival Fogo Na Roupa















Parade Revelers


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com