<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 20, 2005

The San Francisco Jazz Festival, opened it's series with Abbey Lincoln performing at the Herbst Theatre in San Francisco.

The Herbst Theatre is a favorite spot, it's comfortable and has an old world charm with beautiful murals that grace its' walls. The acoustics are descent, sitting in the balcony you can enjoy the show. Another plus, they offer student rush tickets before many shows, half price tickets make my wallet happy!

Well, the concert was very interesting, I've heard Abbey Lincoln's music but I've never read an interview or had a feeling about her as an artist or individual. After the concert I'm reading.

Abbey performed a full set, she sung standards like Skylark and favorites composed by her, like The Music is the Magic but I've never seen a show before where the artist starts to fuss and almost cussed out her musicians. At first I thought it was an act, then I started thinking she's pissed off.

Whether her agitation was an act or the worst scenario possible a musician could have on stage without falling or barfing, they were flat at times. Sometimes her cajoling seemed to help other times rebellion or just plan confusion was occurring. She sung several songs acapella shutting down her trio.

I enjoyed the concert her singing and phrasing were good and it's always a treat to see the master jazz performers. But the concert will always be remembered for being a hot event on stage in the most unusal way.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com