<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Martin Luther King's Holiday - Monday January 18 - This holiday is usually very quiet for me. I like to read some of Kings writings and I usually don't go to public celebrations. However this year I didn't stay at home and remembered King in a difference way I BARTED over to Oakland to the The African American Museum and Library . To the showing of , Shirley Chisholm Unbought and Unbossed. The film will be showing on POV in February please watch. It's a wonderful documentary that gives insights into Shirley Chisholm, the film focus is Chisholm's 1972 campaign for President and airs her political philosophy, strategies, supporters and detractors from the larger society and the Black community.

After the film, there was a panel to discuss the film and a course the current political climate. Congresswoman Barbara Lee was on the panel, she was mentored by Chisholm. Prior to meeting Shirley Chisholm, Barbara Lee had never voted. Lee is one of the few politicians that I trust at this moment. She will always have my respect to voting against the WAR in Iraq, another woman of integrity like her mentor.

Watching the documentary I remembered a joke Redd Foxx made about Shirley Chisholm, he said that while he generally preferred black women over white women, he sure as hell would take Raquel Welch over Shirley Chisholm. One reason I remembered the statement is how hard my father laughed at this ignorant and sexist joke.

The lack of political support and respect Black Woman receive from our community is one of the reasons that Condoleezza Rice is politically the most powerful Black woman in the country today. It's frightening to think the Bush family is more loyal and rewarding to their female ideological warriors than so-called progressives.





|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com