<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I was lagging today, I might be dehydrated from biking and not drinking enough water, fluids are a necessary. Over the weekend I traveled only by bike or foot -except Saturday when I got a ride to Ikea in Emeryville - Sunday rode my bike to the Mission District for Carnival. The parade started promptly and was over by 1:00 pm. it's a multicultural event with a focus on the Caribbean and Latin Africa.

The street faire was a little flat this year -why ?? my guess are: 1. The parade ends arounds 12:30, which is really early compared to previous parades, that the parade participants leave earlier - 2> Too much corporate sponsorship, the Street corners usually belong to a Samba group. This year it was a radio station, TV Station or brooze company. The weather was nice and my return ride through Golden Gate Park was quite beautiful. The park was empty -everyone was in the Mission - my ride was peaceful.

Today lag day I took advantage of free gallery day at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts to quickly checkout Black President: The Art and Legacy of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. Fela, a man whose music I've just started to listen to beyond the rhythms of the Afro-beat....to actually the message of his lycris.
The collection of work was a interesting mix - some pieces were successful for me other weren't. Some of my favorite artists in the exhibit were Victor Ekpuk, Olu OGUIBE and Barkley Hendricks. What I didn't like was the use of space in the gallery. I felt like I was walking through a warehouse.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com